Monday, April 4, 2016
MACHINERY OF JOY
Ray Bradbury wrote a short story he called "Boys! Raise Giant Mushrooms in Your Cellar!" Its plot and its climax can probably be discerned from its title. I believe it was first published in 1962, (later anthologized in his collection The Machineries of Joy) and was a send-up of the kind of breathless copy to be found in the ads of the magazines he would have read when he was younger. It wouldn't have been a far cry from this, found in the inside back cover of Wonder Stories, the November 1932 edition (Just for perspective, remember Action Comics #1 is cover dated June 1938). If I had caught an eyeful of this ad, back when I thought of myself as a budding scientist (rather than a budding cartoonist), I would have had waking dreams of getting that outfit sent to me so that I could join the Junior Frankenstein Society. Given that the price would have been prohibitive even in the '60s ($25.00 USD would have been a quarter of a month's rent for us then), I can imagine what it might have represented to say, Jerry Siegel or Ray Bradbury if they'd bought this issue off the stands...provided they didn't mistake its pre-Op Art cover for a colorblindness test.

