Tuesday, January 12, 2016

WHAT TO SAY TO PEOPLE WHEN THEY PICK ON YOU


1/11/16 rolled on as an international day of mourning. And justly so.
On the ‘net, if my Facebook feed is any representation, everyone seemed to express a genuine sense of loss, and people were eager to share how any given one of his incarnations got them through high school. Just for one day, the partisan bickering was absent. People who usually take a contrarian side of an issue had the same thing as everyone else to say: “I saw him in 1972…” “I saw him in 1985…” “I saw him in 1993…and he was awwwwwesome.” The self-promotion seemed to subside, too, except in the best, fun, creative kinds of ways. Even the pros did fan art.

Please don’t consider it self-promotion when I repeat what I wrote as my Facebook status this morning.
All of the issues that we deal with every day: “creativity,” “longevity,” and “identity,” were wrapped up in one person: David Bowie.