Monday, December 14, 2015

CAN’T GET ENOUGH OF THAT WONDERFUL DUFF


Connie and I were in Dublin earlier this year. It’s impossible to leave without a visit to the Guinness Storehouse, which is many things, but is essentially a beer museum. If Homer Simpson died and went to Heaven, it would look like this place.

You have to really like beer to sit through lectures on barley and hops. I kept wishing I could see some examples of Guinness’ great advertising. I’d been admiring antiques based on their posters and ads in the local pub windows. Why couldn’t that be a display here?

It sure was. These are my terrible pictures of their display cases featuring their historical, humorous and darned effective campaign. And not just the billboards, but the bric-a-brac that adorned pub shelves for years.

The Storehouse Shop has its share of T-shirts and key chains adorned with the well-known Guinness logo. I was only interested in one item, and I was glad to have found it. It’s Gilroy Was Good for Guinness by David Hughes, a splendid hardcover book on the career of portraitist and watercolorist John Gilroy, who created the cartoons that became ubiquitous. The color illustrations are sumptuous and brilliant, with many roughs and  first drafts. There’s even one that shows other artists at the ad agency how to duplicate his color palette. I strongly recommend it, especially to other cartoonists and illustrators.

Connie has better pictures from the Storehouse. I’ll post those soon.