Thursday, March 24, 2016
HELP! IS ON THE WAY
Some people look forward to Christmas. Others count down to spring break. Still others gaze longingly at the calendar for the next available long weekend. The time I most earnestly anticipate is the annual show of the School of Visual Arts' 3D Design program, with Kevin O'Callaghan as its instructor. {"Instructor" seems too hapless a word for someone that inspires student work like this. "Visionary"? "Guru"?) I haven't had the opportunity to meet him, but I've seen his classes' shows each year at the SVA Gallery (209 East 23rd Street), and they're always utter knockouts. This is the proverbial iceberg tip: the show spans two rooms. One of the exhibits made me laugh out loud. I want to let you experience this for yourself, so I'll spoil nothing further. I strongly urge you to take in the show (it's ground level on 23rd Street off Third Avenue), and if your interest is at all piqued, check out the professor's book, MonuMental, the Reimagined World of Kevin O'Callaghan, a few clicks away at amazon.com.






